Enjoy the delicious combination of the crispy soft shell crab, the freshness of the vegetables, and the tangy sauce all packed between a toasted bun. This sandwich makes for a delightful meal that showcases the unique flavors and textures of soft shell crabs. Serve with a side of fries or a refreshing salad for a complete and satisfying dining experience.
For the soft shell crabs:
- 4 soft shell crabs, cleaned
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the sandwich:
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Sliced pickles
- Tartar sauce or your favorite sauce (e.g., remoulade, aioli)
- Prepare the soft shell crabs by rinsing them under cold water and patting them dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow dish, combine the all-purpose flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat until it reaches 175°C (350°F).
- Dredge each soft shell crab in the flour mixture, coating both sides evenly. Shake off any excess flour.
- Carefully place the crabs into the hot oil, one at a time, and fry them for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Be cautious when frying, as the crabs may splatter.
- Once fried, transfer the crabs to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading tartar sauce or your preferred sauce on the bottom halves of the toasted hamburger buns.
- Top the sauce with lettuce leaves, tomato slices, and sliced pickles.
- Place a crispy soft shell crab on each bun and cover with the top halves.
- Serve the soft shell crab sandwiches immediately while the crabs are still warm and crispy.